New system disk

Questions on Installation
gian

New system disk

Post by gian »

Hello All,
I replaced my system disk because / was too small, and I copied over the /usr/share/turboprint/profiles that were on the old one, however, I don't see them in the Profiles section of the Turboprint Control Center, and of course I cannot select the paper profiles I had custom made from Zedo.
What files have to be copied over? the old disk is still available via USB.
Thanks for your time and advice,
-Gian
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: New system disk

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

the print queue definitions are stored in the file /etc/turboprint/turboprint.cfg, the profiles and page size definitions are located in the directory /usr/share/turboprint/profiles.

You can backup "turboprint.cfg" and the contents of the directory "profiles" and restore on your new system.

Then execute from a command line

sudo tpsetup --restore

to restore the CUPS print queues.

You might have to adjust the printer port configuration in TurboPrint Control (dialog "Edit") - select the printer again in the list "Choose port".
gian

Post by gian »

Hi Zedonet,

thanks for your reply.

I had already scrolled the forum for similar issues, and had already followed your steps, however, what I am missing, is my papers (Media Type) when I go on to print from Gimp.
Of course I could add them manually again as I did the first time, but may I say that the manual is not very clear? (at least to me, that is), so I was trying to recover the previous settings.

By the way, here is what puzzled me:

- I have a bunch of papers, Canson Rag Photographique, Platine fibre, Baryta Photographique, Epson Ultra Glossy, Canon Pro Platinum... are they all Fine Art papers? should I always select Gloss Optimizer Auto?

- I have custom profiles such as p0...pfprofile and .tpd and .tpr profiles: what is the difference?

I would expect that a profile should include both media type and Gloss Optimizer settings, for example.

Thanks for your help.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

If you can see the profiles in the "Profiles" dialog for TurboPrint Control, you should also see them in the GIMP print dialog ("File" -> "TurboPrint..."). Copying the profiles from a previous installation as described does not always work (e.g. if the print queues have a different name on the new installation), so you actually may have to add your profiles manually.

The profile entry does not include the "Gloss optimizer" setting. Selecting "Gloss Optimizer Auto" is recommended for glossy photographic papers (Glossy / Platinum), "Gloss Optimizer Off" may be better for non-glossy photographic fineart papers (Baryta / Semiglossy / Satin / Luster).

For each profile there is a *.tpr file which contains driver settings and can be viewed with a text editor.
Once you import an ICC file, it is copied to a *.tpd file (same name, different ending) which is binary.
The file "profiles.lst" is the list of TurboPrint printer profiles.
gian

Post by gian »

no, I cannot see the profiles in Turboprint Control, even if they are in the /usr/share/turboprint/profiles folder.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

You could check

/usr/share/turboprint/profiles/profiles.lst

You can see sections

Code: Select all

[Profile1001]
Name="Your profile name"
Printer="Epson_XP15000series"
Config="XP15000series-TurboPrint"
The line "Config=..." must specify the current CUPS print queue name - the name that is visible in TurboPrint Control, list of printers, column "Name".
gian

Post by gian »

I decided to do it all over to do things properly.
Let's take the Canson Baryta Photographique for example.
New profile, FineArt, Gloss off, etc, now it's time to import color data, correct?
I tried one pfprofile and one icc.
Each one gives me an error such as:
- warning profile id doesn't match
Parameters GlossOpt Auto these parameters will be adjusted in the base profile (OK, I changed to Gloss off following your advice)
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

The warning "Profile ID don't match" can be ignored. Here is the explanation what the warning means:

When you print a profile chart, the profile id (= profile order code in our online shop) is stored for this profile entry. Later when importing the profile that was created by us, the profile id is compared and there is a warning if it is different. This is done to make sure that the profile data file is imported for the correct profile entry.

When you make a new installation of TurboPrint, you have to add a new profile entry and import your existing profile data file. In this case always the warning "Profile ID don't match" is displayed.
gian

Post by gian »

thanks